Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Saving Money

Yes, we are all at it. Thinking about where we can save, what we can cut down on. It's been on my mind as well, I'm not stressing about it, the thought it just always there, at the back of my mind - "Do we need this, should we spend this, can we get it cheaper somewhere else".

Well I didn't realise how much it was on my mind until yesterday. We were at a shopping centre (I know, not a great place to be when you are trying to cut costs) and I needed to pee. Me being the lazy person I am was thinking "Ugh, the toilets are ALL the way over there, I'll wait till we get home". Then we passed a McDonalds... so in I went thinking "Oh well if I use the toilet here, its saving on using toilet paper at home". WHAT? Did I just think that?? Did that thought seriously just enter my head!!?

OK, we were running out of toilet paper at home, and I had made a mental note that I needed to buy more. But we are certainly not that badly off that I need to use the toilet in public places to save a little bit extra. How much would that save anyway? A few cents? Probably less.

I was also thinking the other day about how much money we are saving since I am breastfeeding. We spent SO much on formula with Chloe. A box of formula that cost €13 would get us just over a week. That's for a whole year! Plus the cost of bottles and the cost of new bottle teats as she got older. Its quite a bit of money added up! Maybe the terrible breastfeeding rates here in Ireland will get better in "the current economic climate". Maybe the formula companies realise this, they have already reduced their prices. That box that cost me €13 a few months ago is now €10!! I was really being ripped off, as were plenty of other Mothers, shame on them!


We have started to see a hole in the "wean Chloe from bottles" plan. She is waking up at 6 or 7am, she hasn't done that in quite a while, but when she used to we would give her a bottle and she would sleep for a few more hours. These last few days she has been wrecked. I lie in bed thinking, should I give her a bottle to go back to sleep? Or is that just going backwards? She is so tired, I don't know what to do! She is also constantly hungry. Always pulling me to the fridge, but I don't know what to feed her. She doesn't like sandwiches, and I don't have much of an imagination, so any suggestions welcome. :)

1 comment:

  1. does she like carrots? or pretzels, tomatoes and you can give her the stuff you would put on a sandwich without the bread like slices of cheese. and you can let her dip the carrots into something i dont know if you remember but if emma could dip it she would eat it even celery!

    ReplyDelete