Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Last night, Stewy and I went to his Aunt's house, to see his cousin off on his deb's. Apparently it's a big thing, and they had invited tons of people and there was tons of food (score, I didn't have to cook dinner!) It was good fun, and I got to chat to another Mom from church and get to know her a little better.

It also got me thinking... It was 6 years, almost to the day, since Stewy and I were the ones going off to Stewy's debs! We even left from his Aunts house. It was so strange. I was so nervous as I didn't know any of the people there, and I was very very shy. I hardly even knew Stewy.

Earlier that day, I was in school, in Cork. During our lunch break one of my best friends did my hair in the school bathroom! She was a pro, there were millions of clips and tons of hair spray. It looked fab! I think she also did my makeup? I then got picked up from school and got a train to Dublin, I have a sneaky feeling that my sister Jenna was there with me? Maybe on her way up to see her Dublin boyfriend (yes, we were suckers for long distance relationships) I put on my fake nails on the train and all that was left to do was put on the dress. We arrived in Dublin, and that's when it started. No, not the debs, but the beginning of Stewy being late to everything, all the time. He was late and I was even more nervous. He finally arrived, his Aunt had brought him to the train station to pick us up. Stewys little cousin was in the car (the younger brother of the cousin that went to his debs last night, are you keeping up?) and he proceeded to tell me embarrassing stories about Stewy. Like about the time that Stewy was playing football (nothing new there) in his brand new WHITE football shirt, and he slipped and landed in a pile of slippery dog poo! His back was covered, so I was told, poor Stewy was very embarrassed.

We got to the house, there wasn't anyone there yet, I was led upstairs to the main bedroom, the main bedroom of a person I'd never met before that day. A strangers house, very nerve racking. I ironed my dress and put it on, This dress was the backup dress for quite a few different debs of different girls! Stewy had invited me about a month before hand, and I didn't have the money to buy a new one and my Mom didn't have enough time to make me one. Then I did the walk, the walk down the stairs, I felt like something out of a movie! Everyone staring at me, (people had arrived) and saying "Oh wow, you look lovey". Mortified! Stewy gave me a corsage and a box of Galaxy Chocolate, how did he know that it was my favourite type of Chocolate? It was meant to be!! He got me a drink, and introduced me to people, it was all a bit strange for me, like I said, I was very very shy. Then the promised "limo" arrived. Not much of a limo if you ask me, sorry Stewy! It was just a fancy car, Stewy had to sit in front, while I sat in the back with the other couple, again, complete strangers.

We arrived at the "Red Cow", this is where the debs were being held, we hung around outside, Stewy chatting to people. Then we went in, and I saw the photographer but Stewy didn't, and I didn't want to be rude and say "Are we going to get a picture taken?", so no formal picture! We were hardly in the door, and Stewy had taken off his jacket and tie, typical!

We had dinner and then moved onto the disco part, fights started to break out, so Stewy and I decided to go and sit somewhere quite. This was the first time we got to chatting properly. This was the first time he asked me "out", as in if we could be exclusive boyfriend and girlfriend. I said "I'm not sure". Hehehe. It was a big decision, a long distance relationship is not something to be taken lightly! He didn't give up though, he kept asking me throughout the night.

We decided to leave and go to the leisure plex. We waited around for a taxi, where Stewy asked me out about a million more times ;). When we got to the leisure plex we played pool and some other computer games. I had a giggle at the pedestrian traffic lights, there was a voice that said "STOP, please wait until the green man shows", well, DUH! Stewy said, isn't that for the blind people? Uh, how are blind people supposed to be able to see when the green man shows?

The sun was up, and it was time to head home, well to his Aunts house. We decided to walk! Stewy later told me that he walked me home the long way! So that we could spend more time together, and so he could ask me a bunch more times to go out with him! I still didn't say yes! Poor guy. We got back and we cuddled on the couch where we continued chatting, and i eventually said yes! We went to (separate) bed and slept for a few hours. Got up, dropped his suit off, went to pizza hut and then I had to get the train home. That was our very first date. :)

A few months of seeing each other on weekends, and Stewy being completely broke, as he was in college and spending all him money traveling to see me, Stewy moved to Cork.

Just 6 years after that night and Stewy and I are married with 2 children. Who would of thought it. Not us, that for sure. Stewy whispered in his cousins ear, "Just think, Cath and I were here just six years ago, now we are married with 2 kids!" Poor guy, at least he didn't let the girl hear!

2 comments: